Note: This letter was submitted, but never published.
Dear Editor:
In his March 5 Gazette response to my letter, David Brown says he's angered by the fact that I challenged the product of the school system that his is closely associated with. Well, I am also angered. Angered by the fact that my tax dollars went to pay for the raw content that Brown finds so excellent; angered by the fact that the district has moved from educating students to fostering a very questionable environment.
Brown certainly took me to task for my disgust with the subject matter printed in the Olentangy High School student newspaper, The Beacon. However, as I noted in my original letter, I expected responses. I simply asked those who support this "stuff" to find another way to fund their nonsense. Brown, showing his obvious lack of knowledge regarding the coercive nature of taxation, states that I can keep my money in my wallet. That's not the way taxes work. Unless, of course, Brown is going to proudly pay my school-related taxes along with his tax bill.
Brown goes astray with his application of simple English. I never stated that the articles appeared in the first few pages of The Beacon, only that it takes but a few page to realize that something is terribly wrong. His strong defense of the subject matters convinces me that I am indeed correct.
Additionally, Brown conveniently forgets to mention the other articles that appeared throughout the edition - one of which I detailed in my letter - implying instead that the one article he cited was the only article of concern. His failure to mention the other articles must be due to their subject matter; subject matter that the likes of even Brown cannot defend.
I suggest that the readers of this paper obtain a copy of The Beacon and see for themselves. There is no reason to expect that a letter-to-the-editor debate should be the final word. See the articles that Brown feels are appropriate for the young minds of this district, and wonder what has gone wrong.
Jim Fedako
No comments:
Post a Comment