Mr. Fedako, Gee, why do you despise teachers and what they do? You seem to have it in for teachers. I have never read anything you have written that praises teachers for their sacrifice and hard work. Instead, you look for things to criticize.You profess to be a Christian. I do not sense a compassion that the Christians I know, including myself, have for others. Certainly, there is nothing wrong with having an opinion and stating it, but from the things you write, I see no compassion in your words. It is mostly hateful and sarcastic.My tone is not meant to be sarcastic..... I am merely curious to understand the motivation behind your strong dislike for teachers and their commitment.So many kids look up to their teachers and are positively influenced by them. Do you not see this aspect at all?
The writer brings up a valid point; some children do look up to their teachers.
I agree with that, which is why I am so shocked that not one - not one - teacher has publicly stated that the articles published in The Beacon were wrong.[1] In fact, the only public statements from teachers - including the one letter submitted by the spouse of a teacher - were those in strong support of The Beacon.
If students look up to their teachers - which some do - and teachers take that role seriously, why no defense of children from the greater mass of teachers? Why no defense from even one?
How could I possibly have compassion when the only voice emanating from the schools is that the perverse articles in The Beacon are more than appropriate; they are good, they were the right thing to have done? How could I say anything wonderful when no teacher makes a stand in protection of children – the comment writer included? Until individual teachers make a stand for the next generation, I can have no compassion.[2]
One question to the writer: If you are a Christian, why no disgust on your part? Is it your belief that the Bible and words of Jesus encourage such subject matter to be taught to young minds?
Some read only half the Bible, they see only the compassion. They choose to ignore the words of Jesus, such as:
Mt 18:6 But whoso shall cause one of these little ones that believe on me to stumble, it is profitable for him that a great millstone should be hanged about his neck, and that he should be sunk in the depth of the sea.
The Bible is about compassion, certainly. Yet the Bible is not compassionate to those who harm children or lead them astray.
Note:
[1] Read the platforms of the national teachers unions to see what the greater mass of teachers are supporting; changes that advocate the social engineering of future generations. These platforms are not aberrations, they are the voted voice of the majority of teachers.
[2] I'll make the comment writer a deal: When at least one dozen Olentangy teachers - representing only 2.5% of the total teaching staff - co-sign a letter stating that The Beacon articles were wrong and that they do not support such nonsense in the schools, I will write in-support of the efforts of individual teachers. Deal?
5 comments:
It should not be the role of teachers or school district administrators to advocate sexual behavior. By allowing students to write about, publish, and sell publications containing such information in the schools is approval and encouragement of such behavior. This is ATROCIOUS. Teachers and administrators want to provide 7 step guides to their students on how to quickly get someone into the bedroom? Has the Olentangy school district looked into making arrangements to add "day care" at the schools for its students' children?
Where is that teacher's compassion for the masses of ill-educated, under-prepared kids who cannot compete in a global marketplace?
Where is that teacher's outrage that 1-in-3 graduating Olentangy seniors requires remedial math and English courses upon entering college? That teacher has no right to condemn criticism of our public schools. And to those teachers who try to do a good job, but don't stand up to the status quo, shame on them.
Yeah, let's attack the messenger to void facing the merits of his arguments. If the complainant had the courage of her convictions she would defend, point for point, the public school policies, practices and outcomes that Mr. Fedako criticizes instead of whining about his tone.
Dear Mr. Fedako,
I have visited your blog a few times over the last year. Sometimes I agree with you and sometimes I don’t, but it is evident that you always put a great deal of time, thought and passion into your messages.
I completely agree that the Beacon issue that has caused such a stir was inappropriate. I don’t believe there should ever be an instant when children are not guided and supervised in a classroom. They need to be able to look to their teachers for wisdom and appropriate boundaries. On a personal note, I do not think it is wise or moral for anyone to make the assumption that this is what has become acceptable in today’s society. It is completely unacceptable and I TRULY believe that most people would agree. I have yet to speak to one person personally that has said otherwise. I will do everything in my power to let my children know that they are precious and purposeful children of God, worth so much more than the damage that is caused by premarital sex. Call me naive, but I will never sell out my children to what the media or teen society says they should be or are worth.
With all that being said, I don’t think it is fair for you to hold an entire school district accountable for the mistakes of a few. And yes, I believe it was a mistake- we all make them. I know that schools are funded by public dollars, but that does not change the fact that they are run by humans. Humans are not capable of always making the right choices, and just like in any other work force mistakes are going to be made. Schools can not be held to super-human standards, because in real life people are just plain human. It is only by the grace of God that all of us receive a second chance when we mess up. I find it much more beneficial to use mistakes as a catalyst for learning and change rather than an opportunity to humiliate and ridicule. I do believe that real changes will come as a result of this mistake.
Many times you have asked why teachers don’t publically speak out, why they don’t write letters to the editor, etc. While that is one way to be heard and try to make changes, it is certainly not the only way. Most people, not just teachers, don’t speak out publically when bothered by an issue. Whether that is right or wrong is a matter of opinion. Many quiet, yet effective, leaders have made great changes in this world. They have lead by example, not just words. They let their actions speak for themselves. Don’t assume that the loudest voice is speaking for the masses.
While many of your ideas and points may be valid, I fear they are falling on deaf ears because of the delivery. By the end of reading many of you articles or letters I completely lose sight of the points you are trying to make and just came away with the feeling of “Wow, this guy is full of bitterness and anger”. I am sure that is not your intention. If you truly believe in what you say why not try an approach that will allow you to be heard and understood by many?
You were absolutely right in a previous comment you wrote when you stated how clear Jesus was about those who lead children astray. There are many times throughout the Bible that Jesus is firm, straight forward and even angry. He never minced his words, and stuck to his beliefs and values without question or hesitation. BUT, no matter how stern or angry he was, it was always underlined with his amazing love. He was NEVER sarcastic, arrogant or cruel. People were drawn to him and heard his message because he always lead with love above all else.
By all means, stand up for what you believe in, let your opinions be heard. Just do it with a little GRACE so that people will hear your message, not just feel your anger.
Yes, I am a public school teacher for “the district”. I pray everyday for God to send me the guidance and wisdom I need to give my students the education they need and deserve.
Anonymous left the following comment on the post,"Teachers and compassion."
I appreciate the heartfelt comments, but I must ask a few questions.
How can someone claim to care so much about the children in their classroom yet be willing to watch those very same children attend classes where the nonsense occurs, and remain silent? The key here is that the writer simply remains silent despite knowing what goes on. Why?
Why is one so unwilling to speak out for their students? Why is Anonymous willing to allow the perverse voice to ring as the sole voice of the schools? Keep in mind that even the faculty advisor remains unapologetic over the content of the articles, despite having the public light shined on her activities. (Sure, she's apologetic about being called to task by the community, but not apologetic of what she produced. She is not asking for a second chance to undo her decisions.) Moreover, an Upper Arlington teacher took the time from her busy day in order to attended the Olentangy board meeting to voice her support for The Beacon articles. If there is a teacher voice for reason and morals, where is it?
By the way, I am angry. The comment writer should also be angry; angry that those ills occurred within the comment writer's very own district, most likely to a child or two that the writer taught at some point. To think, the writer feels that wrong was done, yet appears to be unwilling to say anything about it. I have to believe that if you can't sign your name to your views, those views are not your core beliefs.
The unwillingness to commit your name signifies that an overriding belief holds sway. Typically for teachers, that belief is the absolute commitment to public education. Not a commitment to children - the future generation - but an unwavering commitment to the education system, regardless of its ills.
Wouldn't it be wonderful if Anonymous would speak out, and others joined in? Absent such a public pronouncement and concomitant leadership, more of the same nonsense will continue unabated. The supposed leadership of the silent has allowed more and more nonsense to enter local schools, without any discernable positive effect.
Final note: Speaking out in strong word should not be an issue for Anonymous; whether the speaker is Anonymous or some other voice. Remember, Jesus called Herod - the king nonetheless - a fox, and the Pharisees hypocrites.
Post a Comment