Monday, June 09, 2008

Todd Hanks is AWOL: Where is my money?

Delaware County auditor Todd Hanks is shirking his responsibility. He was elected to (inter alia) set property values for tax purposes. Oh, sure, when the market was rising, Hanks was there to reappraise properties at a higher value, resulting in slightly increased property taxes. Yet, when the market goes south and property values decline, Hanks is nowhere to be found.

Sure, I'm talking about only a $50 reduction, but it's my $50. I would certainly put up a fight if Hanks attempted to lift $50 from my wallet. If he doesn't do his job, the $50 is gone all the same.

Hanks, Do your job!

7 comments:

Paul said...

Jim:

I know you know this, but all property owners have the ability to appeal their property valuation. Lots and lots of people in Franklin County did just that during the last appeal window - successfully.

Could make for a different kind of grassroots effort huh?

Jim Fedako said...

Paul,

The only problem is that folks have to take time off to file appeals. Then it becomes a cost/benefit issue. Is the possible $50 worth personal time off of work.

Unless ... Do you know if the complaint can be filed via mail? If so, I would gladly publish the details for readers.

Paul said...

Jim:

I suspect each county has its own procedures. Here in Franklin Cty, it has to be filed in person, but the County Auditor arranged for extended hours near the end of the appeals window so people didn't have to take off work. On the last day, I seem to recall that they stayed open until midnight.

Believing all those people were making rational cost/benefit decisions, my guess is that the typical savings was a lot more than $50.

PL

Jim Fedako said...

Paul,

Good for them. I just don't think I can knock enough off to make it worth my while. Sad, isn't it.

I bet that I cn only reduce my value by a percent or two, hence the $50 guess. And, I'm not certain I'd win in the end.

Jim Fedako said...

It still ain't right though!!!

Paul said...

Have you seen the editorial in today's Dispatch?

Jim Fedako said...

Saw it. Thanks. Let's hope it gets some traction.