Dear Editor:
Douglas Southgate's Forum article, "$2 gasoline tax would drive down world oil price" (Dispatch, December 2, 2008), has to be the most inane article I have ever read.
To agree with Southgate is to accept this sophism: I will be better off paying government an additional $2 per gallon at the gas pump so that international oil prices will come down even further. Does that even make sense?
I must pay $2 more so than oil prices are lower. Now, how do I gain?
This raises two questions: Which classes in the fundamentals of economics did Southgate miss on his way to becoming an OSU professor? And, why do my tax dollars pay his salary?
Douglas Southgate's Forum article, "$2 gasoline tax would drive down world oil price" (Dispatch, December 2, 2008), has to be the most inane article I have ever read.
To agree with Southgate is to accept this sophism: I will be better off paying government an additional $2 per gallon at the gas pump so that international oil prices will come down even further. Does that even make sense?
I must pay $2 more so than oil prices are lower. Now, how do I gain?
This raises two questions: Which classes in the fundamentals of economics did Southgate miss on his way to becoming an OSU professor? And, why do my tax dollars pay his salary?
No comments:
Post a Comment