"Since I was first elected to Congress, I have been very conscious about spending taxpayers’ money responsibly. Before submitting earmark requests, these projects went through an internal review process and had to meet certain criteria. I’ve only requested a handful of earmarks, feeling those projects if funded would improve the quality of life for Central Ohioans. As I have long said, not all earmarks are bad, but when political concerns weigh more heavily in the appropriations process than the value of an actual taxpayer-funded project, it’s time for a change."(emphasis added)
NEW “PAY TO PLAY” CULTURE, NOT REFORM NEEDED IN WASHINGTON
Capitol Notebook: A Column By Congressman Pat Tiberi (R-OH)
Tiberi spent my money responsibly? How? By funding all sorts of socialistic wealth transfers? Please!
Political concerns? Value? Who's Tiberi kidding? There is nothing of value coming out of DC, certainly nothing that is not the product of political concerns -- such as his desire to be reelected. Yet he writes as if I'm dumb enough to believe him. Please! I'm no fool.
"Together, Republicans and Democrats must work together to come up with a new method of appropriating federal tax dollars. If we can’t solve this, an issue we have direct control over, how are we going to solve the bigger problems like lowering gas prices and making Social Security and Medicare more sustainable for the long-term? I hope we can fix the broken earmark system, so we can move forward in addressing the larger issues Central Ohio families face everyday." (emphasis added)
Government solving big problems? Never! Government does nothing save cause new problems and make existing problems worse.
Address issues facing Central Ohio families? Sure, get out of our lives. Since when does Tiberi think that he can run my family better than I can? Pure arrogance!
Government lowering gas prices? Sure, quit hampering the market with taxes, laws, and regulations and we will all be better off.
Tiberi is becoming more like a Democrat every day; he is certainly no Reagan Republican. And, I wonder if he ever read the Constitution that he swore to uphold.
I'm no fool; and Tiberi is not some omniscient savior.
Government and Tiberi helping Americans. Please!
Full text of Tiberi's column:
NEW “PAY TO PLAY” CULTURE, NOT REFORM NEEDED IN WASHINGTON
Capitol Notebook: A Column By Congressman Pat Tiberi (R-OH)
During the 2006 election season, promises were made by Democrats that they would “clean up” Washington. After Election Day, when Democrats assumed control of the U.S. House, they promised to follow through and “drain the swamp.” It was a prospect I eagerly anticipated. I agreed with many who said Washington had gotten out of control with reckless spending and political games. But overall the environment here in DC after 19 months of being in the Minority hasn’t greatly improved; the rules of the game have just changed. “Tough Races, More Earmarks”, a recent article in Roll Call, a Capitol Hill newspaper, highlights part of why Washington is broken.
In two of the major spending bills this fiscal year, the article reports that vulnerable members received significantly more earmark (lawmaker-requested projects in federal spending bills) dollars for their special projects, than other more senior members. The article said the phenomenon was “particularly pronounced among Democrats.”
While Democrats pledged to cleanup Washington, Roll Call reports that “sixteen Democrats in the ‘Frontline’ program, aimed at protecting the 29 most vulnerable House Democrats, secured $810,000 worth of earmarks each in the Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education spending bill. It is unclear how appropriators arrived at the sum.” In addition, a handful of members who just recently won special elections, making them the most junior members of the entire House of Representatives received equally high sums of earmark money. Another line from the Roll Call article: “In the Commerce, Justice, and Science spending measure, 18 ‘Frontline’ members received $900,000 worth of projects each…”
This coordinated effort indicates there are new rules where money is dolled out by the Majority based on who could benefit more politically. In fairness, this may not solely be a Democrat issue. The article also indicates that, 14 Republican members who were part of the 23-member Regain Our Majority Program, received more earmark money than the average member, but the amount varied widely and an Appropriations Committee spokesperson insists every earmark was vetted and considered on its own merit.
Since I was first elected to Congress, I have been very conscious about spending taxpayers’ money responsibly. Before submitting earmark requests, these projects went through an internal review process and had to meet certain criteria. I’ve only requested a handful of earmarks, feeling those projects if funded would improve the quality of life for Central Ohioans.
As I have long said, not all earmarks are bad, but when political concerns weigh more heavily in the appropriations process than the value of an actual taxpayer-funded project, it’s time for a change.
I believe the earmark process needs to be more transparent. While we’ve taken steps at the end of the process to ensure we know which member is sponsoring what project, there is no transparent, uniform evaluation at the front end of the process. Abuses still exist, and this has to change. This culture contributes to an environment that doesn’t put the needs of voters or the hard-earned money of taxpayers first.
I pledged not to request earmarks this fiscal year because I believe so strongly that in order to regain the people’s trust, we must become more transparent and quit playing political games. Together, Republicans and Democrats must work together to come up with a new method of appropriating federal tax dollars. If we can’t solve this, an issue we have direct control over, how are we going to solve the bigger problems like lowering gas prices and making Social Security and Medicare more sustainable for the long-term? I hope we can fix the broken earmark system, so we can move forward in addressing the larger issues Central Ohio families face everyday.
5 comments:
Jim,
If you want to, you could meet with Tiberi later this month at the Powell Municipal building form 5 to 7. According to his flyer, he has an appointment with me and will talk to me about any topic of "mutual interest." I'd be happy to give my time to you, but only if I could observer the conversation. : )
Ralph
PS: If you want more details, let me know and I'll provide them.
Ralph,
Is the meeting private or public. jfedako@aol.com
Jim,
It's a public meeting. Those who attend up will be seen in the order which they arrive. More information is on its way (assuming I can find the flyer in my trash bin.)
Ralph
I got the same flyer. It's gone in the trash. How can Tea Berry possibly meet with everyone that shows up in the span of 2 hours? Maybe he's counting on nobody showing up. Really, what difference would it make? He can't lose the election with all of the brainwashed folks in this county and I'm not a multi-million dollar corporation so my opinion doesn't count to him.
Sorry Jim... but the invite went out in the trash and I can't find it.
I've sent an email to Mr. Tiberi's office requesting more details. Once recieved, I'll get back to you on it.
Post a Comment