Saturday, September 27, 2008

Commiserating Sense

A reader gets it right. Think about it ... Show up at a board, union, or PTO meeting and ask for donations for your activities. Turn the table. I like it. -- Jim
from a commiserating neighbor:

Another episode of beggars at our door this evening. Two elementary girls asking me for money to guy outdoor play equipment and indoor play equipment for their Deer Run Elementary School in Dublin. I asked them why my taxes weren't sufficient to pay for their play things? (of course, once they've given most of it to the teachers they have to go begging for play equipment). They didn't know. I told them to go ask their teachers. I also told them my taxes were huge and they didn't need to ask me for more money. They left.

I'm thinking an appropriate response would be to show up Monday morning at Deer Run Elementary with my list of things I need for my recreation. An Elliptical Machine, an in-ground swimming pool, a new bicycle, running shoes, and a refurbished kitchen.

Doesn't that seem fair? I should be allowed to walk from room to room begging the teachers, principal, secretaries, counselors, and all the children for money to buy all those items that would make my life more pleasant and productive.

My motto is "Life-long Learning" and my fellow citizens should assist me in my worthy efforts.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok...so this is wrong. To ask that of an elementary student? They don't know that. That's rude. The PTO is there to raise funds for things that the school cannot purchase. It has nothing to do with your tax dollars.

Jim Fedako said...

No, Stan, it's wrong to ask a child to beg for what a parent should pay for. You got it backwards as usual.

Anonymous said...

We got through school without begging. Our kids got through school without begging. But nobody bats an eye any more when everybody and his brother have their hands out begging for something.