Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Nurse Ratched wins the state lotto

Today, The Columbus Dispatch reported its annual winners of the state tax dollar lottery. Once again, a surprise winner appears. This year's report shows a nurse at the state Correctional Medical Center pulling down a cool $175,959 in 2006 -- of which $92,356 is in overtime. That means that this nurse had to be working 10 hour days for each and every day in 2006 - all 365 of them. Never a day off and never a sick day, not even a weekend. Some commitment to work!

Or, is it simply a means to win the even bigger payoff? Since state retirement is based on the average of his highest three years of earnings, this enterprising nurse just added an additional $600,000 in lifetime retirement payments (conservative figure) due to his overtime in 2006. What a deal for the nurse, what a loss for the taxpayer.

What a shame! Or, should I say, "Sham!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm the same Anonymous in regards to those "snow days" mentioned below.

It used to be that in calculating the "three best years"...you were limited to a percent increase limit from one year to the next. Is that limit still in the laws?

Jim Fedako said...

That's what I've been told from those "in the know." If I'm wrong, let me know and I'll amend the posting.