Tuesday, June 19, 2007

A book by presidential candidate Ron Paul

A great book to understand the ideas of Ron Paul. You'd think you were reading a book by one of our Founding Fathers -- Jim Fedako


A FOREIGN POLICY OF FREEDOM (P)
Peace, Commerce, and Honest Friendship
by Ron Paul
Foundation for Rational Economics and Education, 2007, paperback




According to Laissez Faire Books:

There's been a lot of buzz surrounding presidential candidate Ron Paul lately, though the Texas congressman has been on the radar screens of most libertarians for years. This volume collects more than a dozen speeches documenting Dr. Paul's fight against foreign intervention, ranging in topics from Lebanon in the 1980s, Kosovo in the 1990s, and Iraq in the 2000s.

These days, war critics tend to be met with the phrase "hindsight is 20/20." This collection shows that for at least one man in Washington, foresight is also 20/20. He consistently warns of the egregious disregard for liberty and the disastrous outcomes of foreign intervention. The most interesting speeches come in the year prior to the bombing of Iraq in 2003, during which Paul consistently argues against the invasion, warning that the war would be "fraught with danger of escalating into something no American will be pleased with."

This book is an excellent abridged history of America's foreign intervention during the past three decades, and a great account of one man's fight against those policies. And with Paul's popularity steadily growing, what better time to read up on the self-proclaimed "champion of the constitution"?

372 pages

1 comment:

Brian said...

I have to say that as a traditional conservative I have been interested in Ron Paul for some time. I have admired his position is Congress also. I have to say that as a Presidential candidate I am a bit skeptical. But I will say that I believe he does bring a breath of fresh air to the run-up to the primaries. I am in complete agreement with him that we need a new direction with our foreign policy. But I think he is faced with much of the same square-peg, round-hole problems Senator Taft had in the 1950’s. However, I believe if the country as a whole, and this includes both major parties, started to look at our foreign policy through the lenses of the US Constitution we would have less problems internationally and would be safer at home.