An excellent example of what this magazine offers is found in the article Just Dial 911? The Myth of Police Protection by By Richard W. Stevens. Stevens lays waste to the notion that police exist to protect private citizens from crime. Stevens notes:
First, the police cannot and do not protect everyone from crime. Second, the government and the police in most localities owe no legal duty to protect individuals from criminal attack. When it comes to deterring crime and defending against criminals, individuals are ultimately responsible for themselves and their loved ones. Depending solely on police emergency response means relying on the telephone as the only defensive tool. Too often, citizens in trouble dial 911 . . . and die.While we are told to rely on the police to stop crime and violence, the police are not our best bet.[1]
I recall an incident that occurred years ago on a bike ride. A fellow cyclist was hit in the face with a BB gun, just missing his eye. This gentleman was understandable upset, and wanted to report the incident. He phoned the Sheriff's office and was told that the only deputy on duty at the time was in the other side of the county - this being a rural county. The rider was assured that the deputy was on his way. So, we waited. For 45 minutes, we waited. Finally the deputy arrived. Certainly this was a minor incident, yet if the situation had truly been life threatening, there would have been no police officer available to assist.
The same holds when someone has entered your house intent on crime. Certainly you can call 911 and hope that a car will be dispatched, and then wait. Not much of a positive outlook to a dangerous situation - you can't simply place the criminal on hold awaiting arrival of the deputies or police.
Read the article to see that some courts have ruled that "police officers do not have an affirmative duty to do anything." I'm not get a warm, fuzzy feeling here.
Notes
[1] Keep in mind that the police did not enter the building at VTech or Columbine until after the killers had committed suicide.
1 comment:
I once worked for a hotel management group, working as overnight operations manager for five hotels in the city that distinguished itself with the highest murder rate in the nation, at that time.
The director of security, a retired city narcotics detective, encouraged that I "pack", even though it was/is illegal to do so in that city. His motto--though cliche'--is valid nonetheless: "It's better to be tried by twelve than to be carried by six". So I did. And having it prevented several robberies and kept me from being assaulted by the security detail (Nation of Islam thugs) of a then-famous rap group.
One night a hotel down the street was robbed and police went to the neighboring hotels to see if anybody had witnessed anything. Having my jacket off, the pistol I packed--one not issued to any city law enforcement department--was riding in my waistband holster. I went halfway to door and, seeing it was a cop I turned back and got my jacket. In the split second that I came into his view without my jacket on I saw that his eyes immediately zeroed in on the pistol in my waistband. Knowing I was busted for carrying illegally, I opened the door and said to the officer, "It's a rough neighborhood". To which he responded, "Yes, it is...just keep your jacket on".
My experience with the police in that city--and I came to know dozens of them--was that they welcomed citizens in their districts arming themselves. They understand better than anyone that the policies created by elected officials ensure that only criminals are armed, and that only makes their job more hazardous.
Post a Comment