Sunday, March 13, 2011

Olentangy for Kids: more nonsense

According to OFK: •Money raised through the issuance of bonds can only be used for the building of new buildings, remodeling of existing buildings, purchase of land for future buildings or purchase of new equipment (like buses and textbooks). The money cannot be used for operating expenses, which include staff salaries, utilities and everyday expenses.

According to an entry from a district report of bond expenditures obtained through a public records request: "PO: 2608969 ITM: 0002 05/15/2006 Des: REPAINT TOILET PARTITIONS AND Vendor: 006771 - A.K.PAINTING COMPLETELY PAID"


Isn't painting a toilet partition an everyday expense?

To be certain, there is many more instances where 27-year bonds are used to fund operating expenses.

This means your children will still be paying for this repainting decades from now -- a repainting that will not last a year.

Government debt spending gone mad.

The district will continue to get away with this nonsense as long as the taxpayers support unneeded levies.

Note to OFK volunteers: You are selling nonsense to your neighbors. Is that what you want to be doing?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I almost want OFK to ring my doorbell so I can spew the quote from As Good As It Gets: "Sell crazy somewhere else, we're all stocked up here."

Amy said...

I have been angry ever since my kids came home from school last week (one in HS and on in MS) and both separately told me they noticed all the teachers wearing their "Olentangy for Kids" buttons. Seriously--wouldn't this be like me wearing a button in my office at review time saying "Give me a Raise?"

Have you tried explaining all the nuances of the impact of a levy to a 13 year old? All they hear is, "teachers don't make that much and I might not be able to play sports next year."

Teachers should stick to teaching and stop trying to influence taxpayer votes through their students.

Furthermore, why are teachers allowed to visibly promote something that directly benefits them?

Anonymous said...

@Amy-
I agree wholeheartedly. We really attempt to encourage respect for Teachers (balanced with teaching them to use common sense and be an advocate for themselves when necessary) with our children, but it's hard to do that when they pull stuff like that (wearing the pro-levy buttons).

I felt the act of button wearing by that group was inappropriate and needy on their part, and I voiced as much to our administration.

Anonymous said...

Anything that is decided by ballot is political--even if it's something as seemingly neutral as a school levy. We know that there are no neutral sides on that issue, and that levy campaigns are very, very political.

Wearing pro levy buttons is political advocacy. Why are public employees allowed to advocate a political stand on public grounds?

Anonymous said...

Anyone care to wager on what would happen if my child wore a button that said "NO" on it?

Anonymous said...

I think it would be an excellent idea if lots of kids and adults wore buttons that said NO to levies and higher taxes. Years ago, in another school, I got fed up with the front lawn of the school being used to display signs urging voters to pass higher taxes to benefit the school employees (as always, claiming it was for the children). I called the supt. and told her I wanted to place my own sign on the school lawn urging voters to vote NO on the levy. First she told me I could not. So I went over her head and called an appropriate office in Columbus where someone told me I most certainly could put up my sign but to expect it to be torn down. Just the way the previous superintendent had torn down political signs and board members and their friends and family had also.